Care Wear Patterns: Knit
Use: Needle size: #3 or #4
- Cast on 8 stitches - purl back.
- Row 1: Knit 1, yarn over, knit 1, yarn over, all across row, always ending with K1.
- Row 2: Purl back.
- Row 3: Knit 2, yarn over, knit 2, yarn over, all across row, always ending with K1.
- Row 4: Purl back.
- Continue increasing this way until desired size (beret measures 4½" deep for preemie or 8½" diameter for adult size) - about 10 yarn over increases for preemie, 25 or more for adult size.
- Then knit all rows for about 1".
- Change to stockinette and decrease (K2tog) every 10th or 11th stitch on every knit row until there are 44 stitches on the needle for preemie or 90 stitches on the needle for adult size.
- Knit 1, purl 1 for about 1 inch or more.
- Bind off.
- Sew or crochet hat together.
- Optional: Decorate with pom-pom or bow.
- Note: You are knitting from the top of the beret downward - ending with the ribbing bottom.